Sunday, October 25, 2009

Soap Stands and Homemade Dog Food- The Weekly Challenge Update

Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Year two, week 26
1. Plant something: Started some sprouts in my fancy new fangled sprouter
2. Harvest something: Carrots, Tomatoes, Kale, Chard, Acorn Squash, Summer squash, Onions, Beets
3. Preserve something: Froze the homemade dog food I made Romeo; Processing pumpkins, saving seeds for roasting and growing
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something) -Reused and brought out of retirement an old 1 cup coffee brewer instead of buying a new brewer at work;
5. Preparation and Storage: Made some homemade Dog Food for Romeo and froze it, Bought some Mason Jars at the thrift store; Working on cleaning out the freezer in the garage in prep for the new one; Cooked potato sausages, boiled the game hens to make dog/cat food, roasted turkey thigh!
6. Build Community Food Systems: Took 5 pounds of tomatoes that I was ripening from the community garden to the food bank
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new): Roasted Carrots, Beets and onions, Veggie Soup: Made some bean burritos with shredded Chard and onions on them,


Melinda’s Growing Challenge: Nothing new to report - except processing pumpkins and saving some of the seeds


Meat Free Mondays: At a muffin and coffee for Breakfast. Soup and salad for lunch. Bean burritos for dinner


Ditch The Disposables -This weeks DTD FAILS: I got some soup at work cafeteria, as I had a Gift chip from there, and used a plastic soup spoon. That and the Styrofoam bowl. But got right back up on the horse again. I forgot Muggsly when I went for a coffee- Couldn’t drink coffee there, so they made it in a paper cup, I didn’t put a lid on it and took the cup home for reuse (I use the cups in my vertical garden and for seed starting)


Buy Hand challenge: Made a Soap pedestal for my mom

No comments: