Sunday, August 16, 2009

Taking a Look at the Vertical Garden

Thought I would take a peek at how the vertical garden was doing. As you can see things are sprouting up! I had to use a catch for the water when watering it, so I thought why not put a planter at the bottom to catch the water going through the vertical planter? Works out great- I think if I where to do anything different, I would use Coco Coir instead of soil or a good mix of potting soil and Coco Coir to keep in the water. I have this hanging on the south wall of the house, in a spot that gets some sun and mostly shade as it is full of plants like mustard greens and lettuce- don’t want them babies to start bolting!
Looky here- the Nasturtiums are peeking out of their pockets!

6 comments:

Red Icculus said...

Coco and compost is probably one of the best sustainable potting soils you can make yourself:

http://red-icculus.com/?p=214

Red Icculus said...

Also, have you ever though about automating your vertical garden? It is a $10 pump, $10 in tubing and and $10 in drip stakes and some tupperware. It would save tons of watering and time.

Robj98168 said...

Red- Thanks for the soil recipe and yes I have thought about a Drip line in the water garden- but I wanted to see how growing things went first - that and Crunchy's Buy Nothing Challenge has me not buying much these days.

Jennifer said...

What a cool idea! I wonder if you could repurpose one of those old shoe organizers?

Robj98168 said...

Jennifer- I hope so- Cause that is what that is - An old shoe storage/organizer thingy I found at Value Village!

Garden Accessories said...

hi rob - i love your vertical pockets....have you seen wally pockets? similar idea

http://www.gardenbeet.com/vertical-garden.html