Sunday, August 2, 2009

BBQ's and Vertical Gardens- The Weekly Challenge Update


Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Year two, week 14

1. Plant something: My garden-Planted some sage; mustard greens, turnip greens, Nasturtiums, Chard and romaine lettuce in the Vertical Garden; planted mustard and turnip greens in Victory garden and radishes
2. Harvest something: PLUMS; TOMATOES; Red Onions; Cucumbers, dill, radishes
3. Harvest Something From the Victory Garden for the Food bank- Icicle Radishes- ½ pound, three little pickling cucumbers ½ pound
4. Preserve something: More Basil Cubes, Dried and jarred dill;

A bbq Grill I made out of on old truck wheel!

Vertical Garden

5. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something): Repaired a pair of Vice Grips- found a metric bolt that fits where the adjustment bolt fell out of and got lost; made a moderate repair to my Nuetron Electric Lawnmower; Made a BBQ out of a steel truck wheel; repaired a fan (thank God cause it is hot out); found a Shoe holder to make a vertical garden out of at the thrift store; made a box planter out of an old TV stand and another out of the drawer from the old TV stand,
6. Preparation and Storage: Bought 5 boxes of Ak Mak crackers on a great sale
7. Build Community Food Systems: Took 3 pounds of lettuce and Swiss Chard to the food bank;
8. Eat the Food Cook (cook or eat something new): Plum Turnovers, Plum Crumble, Made tzatziki, using the cucmbers, some garlic and dill from my garden


Melinda’s Growing Challenge: I have seen the heads of broccoili. I will not be defeated by broccoili plants. Muwhahaha.

Meat Free Mondays: Ate some plum cobbler for breakfast; had a veggie burger, salad and watermelon for lunch, dinner was cheese and ak mak crackers, with a plum turnover

Crunchy’s Buy Nothing Challenge: Started of with a bang- have not bought a new mattress or freezer- looking on Craig’s list for freezer to make Ms. Crunchy happy- So I can happily say for the first two days I only bought a 2” PVC Bushing, to make a fruit picker out of, Some clear plastic tubing (not counting as it is to make a sight gage for work out of) A thermometer for the Community garden. Oh yeah a replacement grill for the BBQ I made out of a steel truck wheel. I should get credit for that one though- the wheel came from Freecycle, the legs I had sitting around. The only part I bought was the grill. I would have looked at free cycle, but then what to do with rest of the BBQ? I thought it was more wasteful to take an old BBQ just for the grill, and then through away the base- of course I could have taken it to the recycle center as scrap.

1 comment:

Bevin Chu said...

Dear Rob,

Your BBQ grill made out of an old truck wheel is great!

I was thinking about doing it myself, so I Googled to see if someone had already done it, and sure enough, someone had!

It makes so much sense.

The top half functions as the charcoal or wood holder, the bottom half functions as a flared out base, ensuring stability, and even the bolt holes function as air vents.

Truly serendipitous repurposing opportunity.