Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Year two, week 17
1. Plant something: Some turnips; kale, leeks, lettuce, salad greens, radishes
2. Harvest something: Turnip, tomatoes, Salad greens, Blackberries, Banana Peppers
Community garden- summer squash, chard, peas, tomatoes 3 pounds to the food bank
3. Preserve something: Pickled cherry tomatoes with raisins,
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something): Saved two coffee canisters for door prize tickets and car show balloting; a couple of pop bottles from work for bell cloches and funnels for some of the self watering planters (Make it easier to fill them from hose) Bought a new PVC Free Shower curtain. My old one will be used as a truck tarp- That will be me driving down the road with the tarp with surfboards on it!
5.Preperation and Storage: Pickled Cherry tomatoes with raisins
6. Build Community Food Systems: Took three pounds of produce from the community garden to the food bank; did my watering day at the community garden,
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new)- Double stuffed Banana French Toast; Pickled Cherry Tomatoes; Mascarpone and Blackberry Stuffed French Toast
Melinda’s Growing Challenge: My watermelon plants have baby watermelons!!!! *&^%$## Broccoli update- Have some small heads of broccoli- ridiculously small heads. Saved some pea seeds.
Meat Free Mondays: Breakfast- cup of coffee and a muffin from Burien Press;
Lunch- Walked to the store at work and had a bagel with crème cheese and
some chips; Dinner- Omelet; Snacks- had some kettle corn, no sugar Ice cream
Crunchy’s Buy Nothing Challenge: OK.I bought a new shower curtain. I really needed one and got a PVC free one at Ikea. For 3.50. The old one, holes and all, will be used as a tarp to cover my load when hauling to the dump or bringing building supplies home. Other than that nothing except for muffins and coffee at the espresso shop, a bagel and cream cheese and some chip for lunch on Monday, and a can of chili on Wednesday. Oh yeah a hot dog and chips at the Farmers’ Market on Thursday. Oh and paid my fines to the King county library and became an upstanding card carrying member!
Edible Red Velvet Ice Cream Bowls
3 days ago