Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Year two, week 22
1. Plant something: nothing
2. Harvest something: Tomatoes, basil; From the Community Garden: Some basil, some tomatoes, wax peppers, Tomatoes, chard, basil, lettuce, chives; Corn
3. Preserve something: nothing
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something):
5. Preparation and Storage: Got started on my “greenhouse”- used a large plastic bag for the roof, 1X2’s for the frame for door; prepped the ground for it!
6. Build Community Food Systems: took latest donation from Community Garden to the Food Bank- now over 40 pounds of produce donated!
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new): Ate some of the Hungarian wax peppers I pickled
Melinda’s Growing Challenge: Got started on my “greenhouse”- using a large plastic bag for the roof, 1X2’s for the frame for door; prepped the ground for it! No seeds saved this week.
Meat Free Mondays: Had the obligatory muffin and coffee for breakfast; Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup for lunch; TVP “Pulled Chicken” on some rice tortillas at work, and Almond Butter/ Banana stuffed French Toast when I got home
Ditch The Disposables - Still doing good- no plastic cutlery used this week, happily wiping my snotty nose in nice soft hankies made from old t-shirts
Buy Hand challenge: I bought Romeo a new poop bag holder and didn’t forget about Sammy Cat - he got a new homemade catnip mouse. Bought at the Oktoberfest and Handmade by Gourmet Pet treats.net- She sells home made cat and dog treats and toys, as well as Dog breed cookie cutters, manufactured and made locally, She sells at local craft shows and on the internet, and a portion of her sales go to the rescue, care, spay and neuter and placement of abandoned and feral animals in Fort Lewis, WA. Hooray! A TWO-FER! Also took advantage of those Halloween sales and got candy to add to the Movie Gift bags I am putting together. And don’t worry I am picking candies like Good and Plenty and Nerds that are packed in a little cardboard box, not plastic. Also thinking about visiting the Bulk Bin at the grocery (the only thing sold in bulk in these parts!) and buying candy in bulk; added candies to the Movie Bags;