Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rob Eats dog food


I so miss the Natural Pet Food pantry, but they won't make the dog food and put it in my own containers. So I got my creative freak on, searched the internet and came up with this version of my own Dog stew. I used hamburger rather than chicken because I had 2 pounds of ground round in the freezer. Had tomatoes too. And yes, I added a good doggy multivitamin/mineral (Missing Link) to romeo's portion. I must admit to trying a bowl myself minus the supplement- although I maybe I should have added it to mine as well- I always wanted a shiny coat! I made enough to freeze for the rest of the week! Might have to try making my own Cat food next.

Doggy Stew- Rob's Version
2 pounds hamburger,browned
½ cup cooked brown rice
½ cup boiled mixed vegetables ( I used carrots and peas)
1 can of chopped tomatoes or 1 cup of chopped tomatoes Red Icculus brings up a good point in comments to this post, do tomatoes cause kidney stones in pooches? I never have had a problem with my dogs (and cat for that matter) eating tomatoes. They love them! But best to ask your vet about it and make your own decision
3 to 4 Tbsp unsalted chicken broth

Stir together and serve at room temperature. A good doggy multivitamin/mineral supplement may be added for good measure. Be sure to store unused portions in a covered container in the refrigerator and discard remains after 3 days. Or just freeze and thaw.
Find more recipes for dog food at Suite 101

2 comments:

Chile said...

What, no ground up egg shells? Romeo needs his calcium. Woof!

Red Icculus said...

Can the acidity from the tomatoes cause kidney stones?