Sunday, October 4, 2009

OMNIVORES 100: or YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT


Abbie at the Farmers Daughter, put up this list a few days ago; keeping in mind my love for stealing others good ideas, I copied it and put my own answers in.

1. Venison- deer – Yup, I will confess- I did it- I ate bambi’s mother
2. Nettle tea Nope- don’t have a clue of what part of a nettle to use
3. Huevos rancheros- Si
4. Steak tartare- No way Jose
5. Crocodile-Yup and Alligator, too
6. Black pudding- Assumming I know what it is, I would say yes- (Blood Sausage is a Norwegian Delicacy
7. Cheese fondue- Oh Yeah
8. Carp- Nope- too bony
9. Borscht- Yes I love Borsht
10. Baba ghanoush- yep
11. Calamari- Love Calamari
12. Pho- Phraid Not Funny considering the amount of Pho restaraunts in the area
13. PB&J sandwich- Yes but never had a PB And Fluff sandwich until I was 48
14. Aloo gobi- Nope – don’t know what it is
15. Hot dog from a street cart- Oh yeah baby-I love to live dangerously
16. Epoisses-See Aloo gobi
17. Black truffle- Never had one- the pig ate them all
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes- Are you kidding? I was a teenager in the 70’s Boone’s Farm and Annie Green Springs where good friends of mine
19. Steamed pork buns – Hum Bow? Yup
20. Pistachio ice cream- Love Pistachio Ice Cream, Yes
21. Heirloom tomatoes-Yup
22. Fresh wild berries Wineberries- Berries-Yes Wineberries! Don’t know what wineberries are
23. Foie gras No fattened goose livers for me. Put it in the same class as veal- don’t like how it is raised.
24. Rice and beans- Rice and beans? Si senor
25. Brawn, or head cheese – Yup My grandma made the best Head Cheese – it was like Spam
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper- Yup
27. Dulce de leche- Usually after eating Raw scotch bonnet pepper
28. Oysters- Yup fried okay- raw no way
29. Baklava- Yes! My Auntie made this- very good
30. Bagna cauda -No Idea
31. Wasabi peas- One of my favorate snack items
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl- Not sure the bread bowl was sourdough but have had it in a bread bowl!
33. Salted lassi- Lassie? I never eat dog (not sure what it is)
34. Sauerkraut -Ja boldt
35. Root beer float -Still do
36. Cognac with a fat cigar -Of course when I am feeling continental back when I was a drinker
37. Clotted cream tea- Must admit to it
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O- Never downed Vodka Jello Shots
39. Gumbo -May Oui!
40. Oxtail -Poor ox needs his tail- no
41. Curried goat- - Never have eaten goat
42. Whole insects -Hell No (well not when I was awake)
43. Phaal -see Pho
44. Goat’s milk- Yes in fact I think there is half a bottle in my fridge as we speak
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or- more Probably have
46. Fugu -Excuse me? Fugu No
47. Chicken tikka masala- Believe it or not yes
48. Eel- Nope looks too much like a snake
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut- Yup Love em.
50. Sea urchin -Nope
51. Prickly pear-Yes
52. Umeboshi- Nope
53. Abalone-Yup
54. Paneer-Nope
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal- Oh yeah
56. Spaetzle- Ja Jeg ar Norse
57. Dirty gin martini Back in the drinking days
58. Beer above 8% ABV- Back in the drinking days
59. Poutine Nope
60. Carob chips Yep
61. S’mores- While was never a girl scout, Abby, Yes I have
62. Sweetbreads -tasted do not like
63. Kaolin-Nope
64. Currywurst - nope
65. Durian- nope
66. Frogs’ legs- One big Hell No My dad use to eat those things. Yeeeuck
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake- at the risk of sounding like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally- yes yes yes yes
68. Haggis- No. Just say no to sheep stomaches
69. Fried plantain- Yes
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette -yes. My name is rob and I have eaten chittlings
71. Gazpacho- Yup
72. Caviar and blini- Never have tried Caviar
73. Louche absinthe- no absinthe even in the drinking days
74. Gjetost, or brunost- Yu Yes I believe I have[
75. Roadkill -Nope
76. Baijiu- Nope
77. Hostess Fruit Pie- Hell yes- What country do y’all think I am from?
78. Snail- Hell No What country do y’all think I am from?
79. Lapsang souchong.- No no lap food for me
80. Bellini- Nope
81. Tom yum- Nope
82. Eggs Benedict- Tried them once. At the Revolving restaurant at the Space Needle- I got sicker than a dog. Have not been able to eat them since
83. Pocky- Those little candy sticks? Yup
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant- Never been to a three star Michelin Restaurant.
85. Kobe beef- Yep
86. Hare- Givve me a head with hare, Long beautiful Hare- What? Oh not the Cowsill’s song Bunnies?Yup
87. Goulash- Yup
88. Flowers-Yup
89. Horse- Never—well there was this one time.. so yes!!!
90. Criollo- chocolate Yup
91. Spam -Are you kidding me? The son of Mid Westeners? Yes
92. Soft shell crab- Yup
93. Rose harissa- Nope
94. Catfish- Yup
95. Mole poblano -Yup
96. Bagel and lox- Yup and love them
97. Lobster Thermidor- Nope
98. Polenta- Not a big fan but yes
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee -Yes but I don’t understand the big deal, there are sumutra blends I would rather have considering the price
100. Snake- I have never been that hungry. Damn you would think Chile made this list… and trying to guilt me into eating rodents, snakes (OK Admittedly Hare is a rodent not a song by the cowsills).
62 out of a hunnert- not bad. LOL 38 things left to try and then I will be a complete man (or some guy who has ate a lot of strange things)

3 comments:

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I ate curried goat. It's tastes a bit like pork but a little gameier (if that's a real word?)

Haggis is great. If you like the eat sausage then you may like haggis. Just like sausage there are a zillion different recipes for it.

Farmer's Daughter said...

Wasn't that fun?

Robj98168 said...

CB- Not gonna eat the Haggis

Farmer's Daughter- yup. surprising what I have eaten.