Thursday, October 15, 2009

Shop Local, Eat Local

The Burien branch of Buy Local is now open at 810 SW 151st. Very cool store. The sell premade frozen meals made on the premise and from local ingredients. I bought the "Coq Au Vin" for dinner tonight, along with some local Apple Cider to make some of Abbie's Apple Cider jelly. They also sell their items in reusable glass containers- You simply make a deposit, like glass milk bottles, and return it. Larger Items some in a foil pan with a cardboard top, smaller ones like 1 serving items come in the plastic tray, unfortunately*. Speaking of milk, they sell milk in glass bottles, And as I pointed out to the owner he should play that up as no supermarket in the Burien area does- although I think I will stick with my Milk Man, as it took so long to find him. Anyway take out you cook at home, sustainably packed. They also have local meats and plan on adding cheeses later. Who could ask for more?
*Upon further review, the single serving lasagne and other dishes are in a cardboard microwave container, with a plastic film on top! Sorry about that, folks!

4 comments:

Red Icculus said...

Hey Rob,

I hope I didn't rub you the wrong way over at 1green Generation. I really like your blog!


I shop locally to support the hard work of entrepreneurs and the cost is often lower for the end consumer without the transportation cost. I totally wish we had a store like that.

Fleecenik Farm said...

What a great resource!

Robj98168 said...

Red- no you didn't- I support others right to have differing views.

Fleece- Yup!

Farmer's Daughter said...

Let me know how you like the jelly!