Tuesday, October 27, 2009

100 Mile Challenge- Planet Green Style




Have you been watching "The 100 Mile Challenge" on Planet Green? Now this is what reality TV should be. Bascially, The good citizens of Mission B.C. have taken on a 100 mile food challenge, started by James MacKinnon and Alisa Smith, who write on their experiences doing the 100 food mile challenge themselves for one year on a blog and a book. Their book "Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Robust Year of Eating Locally" Is available now.
The show is enjoyable. You see the fails. The successes, the "cheats". Done in a great documentary reality style. I have only seen the first two episodes and I must say that I am hooked. And let me tell you, they mean 100 local miles for everything, oil, wheat (which includes flour) vinegar- even salt and pepper (I was laughing at the St. Cyr familie's quest for salt- they ended up going to the beach and boiling down Ocean Water!And I was equally amazed- (it worked!) That and the search for flour or wheat.
This show makes you question- What's In Your Pantry?
It is amazing to see what folks will do when based with a big challenge. And these folks are doing it for themselves- no money or prizes! I would give this show 4 green thumbs

No comments: