Saturday, February 13, 2010

Super Size Me- A film of Epic Portions



Been a while since I did a film review, but also been awhile since I saw a good film. (Documentary that is… District 9 is an excellent flick)
I have to admit, I had some hesitation when I first got this film from the library. I mean to say, I enjoy an occasional burger at MacDonalds. While watching this movie, I was relieved to find out I was in the minority of not ordering super sized meals. My usual order is a regular burger and a cup of coffee. That being said, I totally enjoyed this movie. It is eye opening to see what the fast food companies do to make those sales. And it was fun interesting to watch what happened to the filmmaker, Morgan Spurlock, who ate only MacDonalds 3 times a day for 30 days, much to the chagrin of his Vegan Chef Girlfriend. His health deteriorated immensely, and as the month wore on, the film showed at what lengths, Fast food and Food companies in general will go to keep selling product. At times I thought wow this is just what a drug dealer does- get them young and keep them coming back. Hey it worked for tobacco. A point not lost in this film. Often entertaining and at times Quite humorous, I give “Supersize Me” three out of four green thumbs.

Supersize Me available to view on Hulu

3 comments:

Farmer's Daughter said...

Did you watch any of the extras on the DVD? There's a part where he gets all different burgers and some fries and just lets them decompose (or not). You gotta see that part! Some of my students wanted to try it, so I bought fries and we put them in a container in my classroom. They just turned 5 years old... no sign of decomposing, just a little shriveled. The class I bought them with has since graduated, and when I see their parents they often ask about the fries. It's really crazy. I always ask "If decomposers don't think that these fries are food, should we?"

Disclaimer: I've been known to enjoy some fries every now and then :)

The Cheap Vegetable Gardener said...

You also have to check out a documentary in response to this movie "Fat Head" basically does the same thing eating at McDonalds for few weeks and actually loses weight by simply skipping the fries. Gives some interesting perspective on what really makes us fat...spoiler alert it is not the fat we eat.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I think I'm the only other person in the world other than you who doesn't Super Size my order either. After I saw the movie, I'm glad I don't! :)

In response to the movie and other things, McDonald's has a few healthier options like apple dippers, etc. I wonder if anyone has tried an experiment of eating McDonald's for a year but tried making healthier choices like not using all of the fat laden salad dressing, just eating the apples & not the caramel sauce, getting the regular/small portions etc. and seeing what that does?