Friday, February 5, 2010

NW Flower and Garden Show 2010

This year, I took the light rail to Westlake Mall and walked from there to the Convention Center in Seattle. Great invention that Light Rail!
The annual NW Flower and Garden show was the best ever! There was an subliminally apparent theme of Urban Farming, I counted 4 displays that used the theme from the exotic to Humorous. There was some worry that the show, now being run by O'Loughlin Trade Shows after all the years the Kelly family had run it, would be more commercial than past shows, but I didn't notice that. If anything the vendors were better than before, I saw a lot of "Re-Use" artist represented, as well as a lot of old favorites. And the Exhibitors well very good this year. The only down side was I missed my friends Beth and Lisa's seminar this year!
As usual, I found a lot of inspiration, like this arbor with a gate/door

As I said there were a lot of Urban Farms depicted in this years show!


Who wouldn't want an old truck parked on their neighbors yard as a raised garden and doubling as a hen house? This actually gives me ideas for the trailer project I need to get started on!

ABOVE:Interesting use of the passenger window to remove eggs
BELOW:Lot's of reuse like this planter made from Bottles and Hypertufa:
Many of this years vendors were reuse artists:
Seattle Tilth showed what is possible with their Gold Medal winning Urban Farms display
this goat seems to think All you people can just look at me. I need a nap.
More chickens:
And a couple of Vids: Swimming Au Naturale: features a swimming pond with Natural filtration! (Plants do the filtering!)

3 comments:

Beth E-R said...

Glad you had such a great time at the F & G show. We did too. We share the same favorites list - the crops for clunkers planted truck was a re-use masterpiece, and the Tilth garden was bursting with terrific ideas!

Beth of Salvage Studio

Crunchy Chicken said...

I really wanted to stop by this, but $20? I don't think so.

Robj98168 said...

Beth- I knew you would like the Crops for Clunkers- did you see the vendor that was selling bird baths assembled from Vases and cake plates?

Ms. Chicken- $20! I paid $16 for admission, cause I bought early- Still worth it at 20- The show organizers have a right to make a buck as well.