Sunday, February 21, 2010

THE GORILLA GARDEN CHALLENGE OR HOW TO HAVE FUN BEING A CRIMINAL



THE GORILLA GARDEN CHALLENGE OR HOW TO HAVE FUN BEING A CRIMINAL
I think Lady Bird Johnson would approve. After yesterday's post, 4 bushel farmgal, sent me this email:



"Hi Rob,
What a coincidence that you posted about this today
- Yesterday I found the seeds that I bought last fall to
scatter around out here! I've been wanting to do this since I read
about it last summer! (And saw the videos by the fellow in England)
It's not warm enough to plant out here yet (that's in April or
so)

How about a "challenge" this spring to brighten up
everyone's community?"


Shame on you 4 Bushel... don't you know how I am easily co-erced into things?
OK Let’s put civil disobedience on course with the Gorilla Gardener Challenge. In this challenge, I challenge those who read this blog to pick an inconspicuous (or conspicuous) tract of land and bomb the hell out of it with seeds. Be it a vacant building lot, parking or sidewalk strip, turn-about what ever. Pick a strip of land and make it pretty, Seed bombs are easy to make, from simple water balloon type bombs to clay bombs or “seed balls, or just spread some seeds. In effect take a deserted lot and plant something, then come back here to report on their shenanigans.
I will do a monthly update on my and your progress. So make those seed bombs and join me in a little civil unrest guerilla garden style.

And just so you think I don't participate I have chosen the old B/IAS site, now abandoned for my project!
It can be fun to be divisive, or down right sneaky and to hear comments about your efforts
Sources for Guerrilla Gardening:


Guerrilla Gardening. Org
Good source for seed bomb info and instructions

LA GUERILLA GARDENING.ORG


A 12 step Guide to Subversive Guerrilla Gardening

How to Guerrilla Garden in 5 Fun Steps

LEGALESE ROB STYLE:
I, Rob Johnson, do not accept the responsibility of the actions of others, Nor am I suggesting or condoning civil disobedience on a grand scale. I’m just saying plant something where there is nothing for chrissakes!

5 comments:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I am SO up for this! I’ll be scouting some ‘garden’ spots, and getting my tools ready. Oh, the chance to be a rebel again!

Thanks for all the great links – it’s admirable what some folks have done in urban settings!

Anonymous said...

Rob, you are a beautiful animal when you throw caution (and seeds!) to the wind!!

You're my favorite, above reproach guy-rilla in the urban midst, and Biren should be proud of its seed-carrying son (nothing vulgar intended, I assure you). ;)

I'm thinking native sunflowers myself, self.....

Here's to many ooopsie, daisies!!!

~:D

Anonymous said...

Gosh darn it, I meant Burien.

See....ooopsie: Daisies!!

~;D

abby jenkins said...

Our neighbor inherited his grandmothers property, a lovely little cottage surrounded by a couple acres or so of trees. Within weeks he cleared all those beautiful trees, 125 mature ones we are told, and put in an ATV track, a huge trampoline that stays out 365 and a couple ramshackle sheds filled with crap. I think he finally took the junked microwave off the stone wall..but you get my drift. Anyhoo, I decided I was going to do something about this horrific eyesore. I gathered up my most aggressive re-seeders and sprinkled them on the property that fronts the road. It was fun. Some of the oat grass came up and I think I saw a forget me not or two...this year I need to get some cohorts to stake out the place while I replant some of my daffodils that need dividing. Onward GG!

Unknown said...

Goodness you are a bunch of sneaky rebels. The recepiants probably never had this idea cross there mind. I'm all for beautification so I think I may join in! Has any one ever got in trouble for this?I'll be running this through my mind to pick the perfect place.
Good luck everyone!
Judy