Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekly Challenge Update

Kinda of a blah week as you can tell!
Sharon's Independence Days Challenge Week 22

Plant something: Nope
Prep something: Nope
Harvest something: A few peas that’s it
Manage something: Got the Christmas junk down in the garage; put away Halloween stuff
Cook Something New: Didn’t cook at all this week
Work on Local Food Systems: Nope
Re-Cycle, Re-Use, Re-Duce, Repair or Compost something: Well the one place I did something, I put pizza boxes and such in the yard waste bin, read about making a decorative fence out of wine bottles- You bury them upside down! I saw it at Debbie's Artful Inspirations blog- Sounds cool so I am thinking about it. Re-Used some glass bottles for water storage.
Learn a skill: Went and took the fourth class in the WSU Extension program- How to make a Raingarden- have been deciding if I should attempt this or not- About the only place it would make any sense is the front yard- maybe one around the garage area!

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: Boy was I ever bad at this during the week: I bought a new pair of jeans (When I see my size and inseam and on sale for $8 I usually jump on it) Bought some Christmas presents this week as well- None of them used or pre-owned. But I am pretty much done Christmas shopping. Am getting over the If I buy one for someone else I should buy one for myself!

Beansprout's Make a Christmas Gift Challenge: As I said last Sunday, I decided not to make mom a Murphy bed- But I did buy her an air bed that makes its own box spring- has it’s own air pump, and is small enough to fit in one her dresser drawers with all the linens – just as good as making a big Murphy bed. Get about halfway done on her head board, need to get started on her clock- got the clock works for it now so need to get busy!

Crunchy’s Freeze Yer Balls off Challenge: Still at 65 when awake or here, 55 when gone or asleep. Still waiting on new programmable thermostat- suppose to be here on Tuesday!

Sergeant Chile’s Operation Clean Out- Didn’t accomplish much here either- except got the Christmas stuff down in the garage and the Halloween stuff back up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Planted:
red onions
peppermint
grass seed in places where the grubs ate the roots

Prep something: washed fabric for cloth diapers

Harvested: turnips, swiss chard, green onions, Genovese basil, tomatoes, butternut squash, cucumbers, bell peppers

Manage something: I put away the canning jars after canning.

Cook Something New: Same things as I usually cook, but I did take pictures this week to add to my website of my gingerbread pancakes and my tuscan tomato bread soup. Now I just have to type up the recipe for the pancakes and crop all the photos.

Recycle, etc: I canned 50 quarts of applesauce, about 20 pints of bananas, and made pomegranate jelly. The apples and bananas were going bad and were going to be thrown out; they were given to me from some small stores. I cut out the bad spots and canned them. The pomegranates I gleaned from someone who was not going to use them and canned about 12 jelly jars.

Also, I planted violets from the house of a friend who is losing her house; when the water goes of they would die there.

Learn a skill: I learned how to can bananas. The baby is thrilled.

On the other challenges: I cleaned the garage. I didn't get any gifts sewn because I was canning.
And it's beautiful weather here; the windows are open.

debbie bailey said...

I'd really like to join your challenge. How do I put the badge on my blog?

Robj98168 said...

debbie- you simply right click with your mouse over the badge press save, and then upload it to your blog/homepage- Sorry I don't know how to give you a paste code to put it up!