Another sure sign that spring is here: The Normandy Park/Burien Spring Recycling Collection Event and Bin Sale is scheduled for this Saturday, May 15th, between 9am – 3pm at the Washington State Criminal Justice Center, 19010 First Ave South.
This event will be open to recycling computers, monitors and TVs for FREE, and will also include the sale of Rain Barrel, Compost, and Worm Bins for $20 each, cash only.
Here are the details:
WHAT: Normandy Park/Burien Spring Recycling Collection Event & Bin Sale.
WHEN: Saturday, May 15th from 9am – 3pm.
INFO: This is a FREE recycling program that will include computers, monitors and TVs through the E-Cycle Washington program. This program allows residents to take their old electronic devices to be recycled without having to pay a fee.
Why recycle electronics?
Many electronics, especially TVs and computers, contain toxic materials such as lead, cadmium and mercury. Reusing and recycling electronics keeps these toxic materials out of our landfills and incinerators and also recovers valuable resources. The electronic equipment this program collects will be taken apart and separated into materials such as glass, plastic, metal and toxic chemicals. All recycling will follow performance standards set up by the Department of Ecology.
What if my electronic equipment still works? Many groups and businesses focus on making used electronics available for reuse. Click here for more information on donating your electronics for reuse.
Look for the full list of all collection locations here: www.ecyclewashington.org, or call 1-800-recycle.
Please note that computer peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and printers are not included in this program.
Here’s a partial list what you can recycle at this event – to see the full list, download a PDF flier here:
- TIRES: Bias ply, steel belted, and studded tires accepted. Limit 6 passenger Y o u C a n tires per household (18 inches and below) free of charge. $1.50 charge for Bringing each tire on a rim. $5 charged for each large truck tire and $15 charged for each truck tire on rim (cash only). No oversized tires accepted.
- MOTOR OIL, FILTERS, & ANTIFREEZE: Motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, 2-cycle oil, steering fluid, crankcase oil, kerosene, and home heating fuel. Do not mix with antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or other substances.
- LEAD ACID BATTERIES: Car, truck, marine, and motorcycle batteries accepted.
- ALKALINE BATTERIES: AAAA, AAA, AA, A, B, C, and D cell batteries only.
- CARDBOARD: Please flatten. No wax coated cardboard.
- REUSEABLE HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND CLOTHING: Clothing and miscellaneous household items in good condition will be collected by Seattle Goodwill. Mattresses and furniture will not be accepted. Items in need of repair will not be accepted.
- PORCELAIN TOILETS AND SINKS: $5 charge (cash only). Toilet seats, hardware, and base wax rings must be removed.
- PROPANE TANKS: Residential tanks only. $5 charge (cash only).
- CLEAN SCRAP WOOD: Includes milled wood, plywood, pallets, and other untreated and unpainted wood. No pegboard, particle or press board.
- BULKY WOOD: Includes large tree branches (minimum 6 inches in diameter), logs, and stumps.No leaves,
grass, small branches, sod, or brush. Please lay a tarp under material for ease of removal.
- ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT: DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, cellular phones and computer peripherals such as keyboards and mice. Computer monitors and televisions will not be accepted. You can recycle these items for free at other locations – see the E-Cycle box for more information.