Friday, April 23, 2010

No Smoking Version 2.0

CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING POST IS A RANT ABOUT NON-SMOKERS. IF YOU ARE NON SMOKER WHO GETS OFFENDED WHEN SMOKERS RANT ABOUT YOU TURN AWAY. OTHERWISE DEAL WITH IT!!!

Last week, I made a decision. Smoking is bad. Smoking is far from sustainable. So I quit. No big deal. I have smoke for over 30 years. Now I need to rant:
OK, I have tried to quit before and failed. So far I haven't had a cigarette in 7 days. Not out oh willpower or sheer determination, I have been drugged. On Chantix.
And while I'm talking about the joys of quitting a 30 year addiction, let me do a mini Rant here
TO THE GOVERNOR AND LEGISLATURE AND THE MANY NON-SMOKING A**-HOLES OF THE GREAT STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Congratulations, You Hypocrites, You- Since you can't come up with or even agree on some serious tax reform in the state, I am quitting smoking. I am tired of supporting the state with the ridiculous tax on cigarettes just so the anti smoking coalition can pass more laws prohibiting where I can and cannot smoke. Since you deny me the pleasure of using a legal substance, but want to tax me, I say Screw you and quit. (Cigarettes are taxed at $2.02 in the state of Washington and are going to go up $1) No more tax money for your schools, your programs. And since I don't drink, I say raise the beer tax and alcohol tax through the roof! Like I tell my wine drinking cousins who bitch when I light up- Allow me to get you another glass of crutch.
And while I am ranting here, where are all the taxes on alcohol and beer? The state of Washington just raised the Alcohol tax, 38 cents per bottle of beer, but did not raise the tax on Micro-Brews, stating that since they are made locally, they increase the employment in the state- of course they didn't mention that the micro brews are also the favorite of White Upper Middle Class A-holes who would bitch too much if they had to pay .38 cents more for their pint of ale. So only those who drink Bud or Pabst have to pay. And I think the wine drinkers are pretty much unscathed as well. Of course, Seattle still want's to rid fortified wines and malt liquor from convenience stores so the homeless and poor won't be able to drink. Instead of providing programs and housing, the City of Seattle would rather make panhandling illegal, not solving the problem, but rather hoping to drive the problem away. I call that throwing out the bathwater with the baby. Although the mayor's office is against the panhandling law.
I personally find it curious that the state which still depends on the tax revenue from Cigarettes, is the same entity that is trying to make folks quit... something smells bad here... why would the state want people to quit when the state is bound to make money??? And why would the state all of a sudden start taxing candy soda and gum??? Maybe Tim Eyman is right!
Anyway I better stop there cause all this ranting makes me want to have a ciggy real bad!

No comments: