Sunday, April 18, 2010

Busier, busier, busier- The Weekly Challenge Update

Sharon's Independence Days Challenge Year 3, week 14
1. Plant something: Planted spinach, Chard, lambs quarters in the garden (Yes I know they are a weed) ; planted strawberry plants; transplanted rhubarb; planted raspberry bush
2. Harvest something: Got up early one morning- foraged a bunch of dandelion flowers and greens
3. Preserve something: Nada
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something): "Mortar mixing" tub from dumpster, 5 gallon buckets for SWP planters, 5 gal Water bottles for SWP Planters
5. Preparation and Storage: Made small garden beds out of two mortar mixing tubs;
6. Build Community Food Systems: I finally got the seeds donated. I took
them to the sustainable Burien meeting and told folks that they are Non-GMO seeds donated to me via my Blog from Hometown Seeds for a small ad, take what they need and John, our community garden guru, stepped up and said he will take what’s left for the various community garden projects around town. Also- Burien will open it’s first City wide Community Garden patch this year- very exciting (proof that almost two years of bitching and moaning works- sometimes)
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new): Made Dandelion Fritters; Cooked up a European style artichoke- and artichoke with a foot long stem, cut the stem and cooked that up too!

One Small Change- After failing last week- did much better this week. I stopped by Pantera bakery, and manage to get out of there with no clamshells, or utensils. They like to sneak the clamshells and utensils in your order. It really makes me appreciate places I regularly go like Burien Press Espresso- real silverware, real plates, real cups and mugs if I forget muggsly.

Growing Challenge Extreme Evangelist Edition- I finally got the seeds donated. I took
them to the sustainable Burien meeting and told folks that they are Non-GMO seeds donated to me via my Blog from Hometown Seeds in exchange for a small ad/link, take what they need and John stepped up and said he will take what’s left for the various community garden projects around town. Also- Burien will open it’s first City wide Community Garden patch this year- very exciting (proof that almost two years of bitching and moaning works- sometimes) Planted spinach, Chard, lambs quarters in the garden (Yes I know they are a weed) ; planted strawberry plants; transplanted rhubarb; planted nasturtiums, planted raspberry bushes- phew!

No comments: