Saturday, April 17, 2010

Artichokes- not just for breakfast anymore!




I have loved eating artichokes ever since I was a little kid. I would rather have an artichoke than say, a lobster!

This is what trader Joe's calls a "European Style" Artichoke. The only difference from a regular American style artichoke that I can tell is the 12" stem. Some claim the stem is the better tasting part of the artichoke. It is quite tasty. But I still prefer the leaves-


How I to prepare an artichoke:


Get a pan large enough to cover the artichoke with water


Fill with water, bring to a boil.


Place artichoke into boiling water. Let boil for like 20 Minutes, until tender and the leaves van be easily pulled away. Prepping the European Artichoke is a little more work- before boiling, cut the stem away, then peel the skin. Add it with the artichoke in the boiling water.


Serve both with melted lemon butter. Remember to only eat the tender part of the leaf. When you get down to the heart, scrape the little hair like pieces off, cut the heart and eat that with butter as well.

1 comment:

mudnessa said...

I LOVE artichokes. I hate when I go to the store and they have a bunch and they are cheap but they are tiny or just nasty looking. I am craving artichokes now. Mmmmm so delicious.