Monday, February 28, 2011

NW Flower and Garden Show 2011

Well I went to the NW Flower and Garden show this year, and I have to say for the first time in about a decade of attending I left kind of disappointed. Maybe it is because I look forward to the fantastic display gardens, or maybe because I look forward to finding new ideas and items for use in the garden. Or more likely I didn't see any gardens representing sustainability. Maybe the Dervaes' Debacle has all the designers scared - they are afraid of getting sued if they design a display garden representing urban homesteading. Maybe they don't want people digging in dirt and growing their own food. Whatever the reason, it was disappointing. There were however a couple of highlights as a few purchases: I bought a hoedag and a Nicolle Dass print:

Above: the HoeDag, Below Nicole Dass Print






What I wish for my backyard to look like

Interesting reuse for water bottles


I really want to make an edible version of this

1 comment:

H2 said...

Right on, Rob. I'm the same when looking at garden displays: where's the food? What century are you all living in?

That bedframe would make a wonderful planter. Collards, kale, chard--you could even make an edible quilted spread.