Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Year two, week 17
1. Plant something: Some turnips; kale, leeks, lettuce, salad greens, radishes
2. Harvest something: Turnip, tomatoes, Salad greens, Blackberries, Banana Peppers
Community garden- summer squash, chard, peas, tomatoes 3 pounds to the food bank
3. Preserve something: Pickled cherry tomatoes with raisins,
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something): Saved two coffee canisters for door prize tickets and car show balloting; a couple of pop bottles from work for bell cloches and funnels for some of the self watering planters (Make it easier to fill them from hose) Bought a new PVC Free Shower curtain. My old one will be used as a truck tarp- That will be me driving down the road with the tarp with surfboards on it!
5.Preperation and Storage: Pickled Cherry tomatoes with raisins
6. Build Community Food Systems: Took three pounds of produce from the community garden to the food bank; did my watering day at the community garden,
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new)- Double stuffed Banana French Toast; Pickled Cherry Tomatoes; Mascarpone and Blackberry Stuffed French Toast
Melinda’s Growing Challenge: My watermelon plants have baby watermelons!!!! *&^%$## Broccoli update- Have some small heads of broccoli- ridiculously small heads. Saved some pea seeds.
Meat Free Mondays: Breakfast- cup of coffee and a muffin from Burien Press;
Lunch- Walked to the store at work and had a bagel with crème cheese and
some chips; Dinner- Omelet; Snacks- had some kettle corn, no sugar Ice cream
Crunchy’s Buy Nothing Challenge: OK.I bought a new shower curtain. I really needed one and got a PVC free one at Ikea. For 3.50. The old one, holes and all, will be used as a tarp to cover my load when hauling to the dump or bringing building supplies home. Other than that nothing except for muffins and coffee at the espresso shop, a bagel and cream cheese and some chip for lunch on Monday, and a can of chili on Wednesday. Oh yeah a hot dog and chips at the Farmers’ Market on Thursday. Oh and paid my fines to the King county library and became an upstanding card carrying member!