Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Weekly Challenge Update


Independence Days Challenge Year 4, Week 27
Plant something-Nothing
Harvest something- Some beets, chard, some amaranth leaves, 2nd batch of pearl oyster mushrooms,
Preserve something- Pickled 1 pint of chard stems, started a jar of celery salt (dehydrated celery leaves and kosher salt); froze 1 pound Swiss chard; Pickled beets, froze beat greens: froze remainder of the beet peels I didn’t eat for later use
Community: Starting to plan for our commumity garden/kitchen garden day celebration; found some more cat food to take for the pet food bank
Preparation: Seeing if I have room in the pantry/laundry/mud room for the freezer- would make it so much more convenient.
Eat the food/Try something new: Pickled beets; Amaranth leaves
Repair, Re-Use, Recycle- Found an old wooden trellis- perfect to use next season for peas, beans; Saw a bike made into a planter in my neighborhood!- gives me an idea what to do with my old bike
Want not: Ordered replacement bags for my mushroom kits; bought 5 pounds of pickling cukes;

No comments: