Sunday, December 14, 2008

WEEKLY CHALLENGE UPDATE: Counting down to Christmas

Now we shall see if the pop bottle bell cloches work

After good weather all fall and winter we got hit with a couple of inches of the white stuff. Here are some of the Bel Cloches and the brussel sprout and kale starts out in my squash box freezing! And my poor MG is sitting outside in the cold as well!
-
-
-
-
-
-
My little MG out in the cold














Plant something: Didn’t plant anything, but brought in one of my kale plants to protect it from the cold and put it on the windowsill.
Harvest something: nothing to harvest- except snow
Manage something: Bought 6 packages (about 18 rings) of potato sausage and put in the freezer
Cook Something New: Did cook some grits- never cooked before, ate them plenty of times. Also, cooked plenty of things that I have made before - mostly Christmas type items.
Work on Local Food Systems: Went to moms and made krumkake- I count this because she supplied the ingredients and I baked them on my krum kake iron- then we split them. Bought 6 packages of potato sausage from my butcher.
Re-Cycle, Re-Use, Re-Duce, Repair or Compost something: Re-used 5 quart mason jars to put some homemade beef jerky in. Put some Christmas greens in the compost.
Learn a skill: took a lesson in “Earth Friendly Holiday” wrapping.

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: Didn’t do great this week, but didn’t do too bad either. I bought some potato sausage at the butchers. Bought some buttons to mend my work jacket. Did buy some things for gifts, but mostly gift cards so not too bad.

Beansprout's Make a Christmas Gift Challenge Filled 5 jars full of Homemade Beef Jerky that will become Christmas presents. Made batches of Sugar Free Peanut Brittle that I will give some to my Uncle whom is also diabetic, and my mom

Crunchy’s Freeze Yer Balls off Challenge: I love, LOVE, LOVE my programmable thermostat I added. It is so nice to not have to remember to lower the temp when I go to bed, even nicer that the heat is on when I wake up!

Sergeant Chile’s Operation Clean Out- Tried to start putting back the Christmas decorations I didn’t use, tried to start cleaning for Christmas

No comments: