Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time by Elizabeth Rogers and Thomas M. Kostigen


I started the green book with many great expectations. Was this going to be the tell all book on how to solve the worlds problems? Would I suddenly have all the answers to all the questions? Instead it turned out to be another book on what lower your carbon footprint. With celebrity interjections. I now know how Jennifer Aniston takes a shower, or how Will Ferrell likes driving a hybrid. I have trouble with folks like Justin Timberlake telling me how to live, when truthfully, I feel you need to show a bit of example first. Maybe I am compairng everyone to Ed Begley Jr. The Book itself is full of good information, again a lot I didn't know. But "Living like ED" had the same information and I feel I would look to that book for reference first. Do not get me wrong-"The Green Book" is a great book for reference. But it comes up short on experiences. The one Thing I appreciate is giving an example of what would happen if everyone did something,which makes this a bit less preachy For example:
"Get a voice-mail service for your home phone. If all answering machines in U.S. homeswere replaced by voice-mail services,the annual energy savings would total nearly two billion kilowatt hours. The resulting reduction in air pollution would be equivalent to removing 250,000 cars from the road for a year!" or
"Don’t ask for ATM receipts. If everyone in the United States refused their receipts, it would save a roll of paper more than two billion feet long, or enough to circle the equator fifteen times! It strives to give examples of what the total sum would be to every solution. There are 50 pages of web-site references, indexed by product and there is an index for quick reference.Overall I would call this a great "tip book" or cheat sheet for those whom are striving to live a greener life!

4 comments:

Connie said...

Yea, but I don't think I'll buy it...Not that I'm buying a lot of those books this year.

Robj98168 said...

If i were to buy one of these kind of books It would be Living Like Ed by Ed Begley Jr. I love how he lives by example. That has always been the best way to get my attention!

Green Bean said...

A+. Good job, Rob. ;-)

I think I remember reading about this book when it came out. Jennifer Aniston takes a 3 minute shower and brushes her teeth in it, right?

It is nice to hear, though, about the cumulative effect of something, like declinging ATM receipts.

Thanks for the review!

nemo said...

Great review. I agree 100% that all these well known people should set the example or keep quiet. A three minute shower may be a start, but how about ditching the 15,000 sq ft mansion, stop driving and flying all over the place, and join the locavore movement? Make a real difference for a change.

That said, no more ATM receipts for me;)