Thursday, March 31, 2011

Potato Grow Bags

Potato Grow Bags in periwinkle and orange
Photo: Gardener's Supply Co.

Well, Since I saw these "Potato Bags" I have wanted to give them a go. What's that? What About the potato condo? Well shucks- I am growing rhubarb in the old condo, and don't feel like starting another one. Any way I found these at Gardener's Supply Company, and thought I could try them for one season and decide if they are worth it or not. According to Gardener's Supply:
"We grew potatoes in a number of different fabric pots, and this one came out the winner, producing a big, 13-pound harvest. The porous fabric of the Potato Bin® aerates roots, prevents heat build-up and allows excess water to drain away. Its compact size lets you grow your own potatoes in just about any sunny spot."
Gardener's Supply also has a whole range of "Grow Bags" to use. If these are succesful, I may try some of the others. Some of the more interesting ones are Carrot Grow Bags and Bean Grow Bags.
So has anyone tried these or other bags to grow potatoes? I have heard of folks growing potatoes in garbage bags. But I am afraid one of my neighbors would try and put garbage in it!

No comments: