Monday, March 28, 2011

Baked Cheese with herbs


I call this post Baked Cheese. Actually it should be Baked Fontina, as that is what Ina Garten calls this recipe. The problem is I decided to make it at 2am, And had no Fontina. So I tried WSU Viking Cheese. So I followed Ina's recipe but used the Viking Cheese, which is a "Jack" type cheese. This is so good and so very easy. I like it better than fondue, and just great with a baguette.


Baked Cheese

Cube a pound and a half of semi soft cheese

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves (Even though the recipes calls for fresh thyme and rosemary, I used some dried leaves I put up last summer and it turned out great)

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 French baguette


Preheat the broiler and position the oven rack 5 inches from the heat. Distribute the cubes of Cheese evenly in a 12-inch cast-iron pan or other oven safe pan. Drizzle on the olive oil. Combine the garlic, thyme, and rosemary and sprinkle it over the cheese and olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and place the pan under the broiler for 6 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling and starts to brown. Serve the baked Cheese family-style-right out of the oven in the cast-iron pan with crusty chunks of bread for everyone to dip.

2 comments:

FoodTrip! said...

Yeah, that sounds pretty good!

Dmarie said...

that's the beauty of all her recipes that I've tried thus far...very adaptable! well done!