Thursday, March 24, 2011

Drifting Along with the Tumbling Tumbleweeds



I was perusing Green Roof Growers blog and they are writing about growing “Agretti”. Agretti is related to the simple tumbleweed in this country. When smallish it is a valued vegetable/herb . I guess the Italians love this stuff. Of its culinary value, Frances Mayes has written that "Spinach is the closest taste, but while agretti has the mineral sharpness of spinach, it tastes livelier, full of the energy of spring. So I ordered some seeds. “Russian Thistle” from Hirt’s seeds. I told my mom I was planning on planting growing and eating Russian Thistle and she just shook her head. This from the woman who when I was growing up went to desperate measures to get me to try new things. Ladybug letter has an interesting post on the uses of Agretti. Anyway I should have fun trying to grow it!

No comments: