Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Year two, week 18
1. Plant something: Leaks to start. Lettuces. Bok Choy. Took some Dutch Corn salad starts and some Kohlrabi plants and planted in the Victory Garden at the community Garden
2. Harvest something: Beets, Tomatoes, Broccoli, kohlrabi, corn salad, lettuce greens, Spaghetti Squash Fromm Community garden to food Bank-Chard, Tomatoes, Basil
3. Preserve something: Pickled some Hungarian Banana Peppers
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something): put four outdoor resin chairs for free on the curb; dumped those useless telephone books in the recycling bin (still don’t know how to get off the free yellow pages list or on it); Repaired a water wand for watering the garden by making a small hose to fit around the end of the wand where the connector had broken; Dump trip- got rid of old unusable lumber and recycled some large amounts of cardboard I had been saving for weed block, but am not going to get those beds in this year so out it went into the recycling dumpster at the landfill;
5.Preperation and Storage: Making a sump to finally have a working sink in the garage. Bought my "Fall" socks at costco; Old socks become dust rags
6. Build Community Food Systems: Did my watering day at Community Garden, Harvested some tomatoes, Chard and Basil for the Food Bank
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new)- Ate pickled onions and pickled cherry tomatoes;
Melinda’s Growing Challenge: Well- took care of the *&^%$ broccoli heads. Snip. Harvest lasted about 2 minutes. Saved some seeds from dried out pea plants.
SEEDS I HAVE SAVED FOR NEXT YEAR:
Am working on tomatoes seeds but am having a hard time getting them to ferment
Meat Free Mondays: Vegan Brownie and coffee at Burien Press. They have the best Vegan Brownies. Lunch- Deep fried Mushrooms; Dinner (aka lunch at work) Spaghetti with meat free sauce- Dessert- donut peaches
Crunchy’s Buy Nothing Challenge: Hee hee. Ha ha this challenge is over . Did I go crazy and on a spending spree? No but I will say that I bought some things I needed and held off buying for the month. But I did decide on buying a mattress topper over buying a new mattress. If it doesn’t work, I will have some nice foam for re-upholstery projects.
This challenge actually has become somewhat of a usual thing with me since doing it in 2008, so I feel confidant to go out in the world and shop with sustainability in mind.
Deep Fried Spaghetti
1 week ago