Tuesday, March 17, 2009

NEW CHALLENGE

La Crunchy Chicken is starting a Sustainable Food Budget Challenge. There is a limit to how much you can spend on food (mine is $283- I figured that out by taking the amount for two people and dividing it by three, and adding 1/3 of the amount to buying for one- since I dont always make dinner for two) Anyway sounds like a good challenge for the times-The rules are fairly loose, but the goal is to buy sustainably grown food: 1. If not LOCALLY PRODUCED, then Organic. (I always ask in the supermarket- the Produce manager runs when he sees me walk in) 2. If not ORGANIC, then Family farm. 3. If not FAMILY FARM, then Local business. 4. If not a LOCAL BUSINESS, (luckily I have a green grocer in the neighborhood) then Terroir: purchase foods famous for the region they are grown in. 5. Hit the farmers market before the supermarket. (not so easy in this neck of the woods- The closest farmer's market is the world famous Pike Place Market in Seattle- Burien's doesn't open until May:( Anyway I am game.
And, For you home improvement junkies, If you are willing to "Git 'er Done" - Abbie is promoting Jena's Git'er Done Challenge over at Becker Farm's Blog- I am shying away from that one for the simple fact I got too much to do on the house as it is- I don't need that kinda pressure! That and anything that encourages comparison to me and Larry The Cable Guy will be sorely met. Besides... I am not cutting the sleeves out of all my shirts!

5 comments:

Danita F. Jolly said...

Hi Rob,

I know we have Trader Joe's for some of our shopping but have you found any other places that you like? Even the organic can be grown out of the state or country when I check. During the summer we do our shopping at Burien's Farmers Market. I was really inspired by the 100 mile diet mentioned on your blog and would love to have more resources as where to get local food. Pike Place really isn't that far away, I should get that in my planner and make it happen, but I thought I would ask about any other places that you may know of too. Thanks, Danita

Robj98168 said...

Well Danita- there is Duane's Garden Patch, and any number of produce markets in Burien- Safeway actually does a fair job of offering local goods, and then there is the grainery, which sells some bulk folds and spices in bulk. Mostly organic

Crunchy Chicken said...

Do you have a PCC down south? They are always a close second (after farmers markets) for local food and produce....

Trader Joe's is a good resource for organics, but I have no idea where they get their stuff (I'm assuming none of it is local) and everything is packaged in huge plastic containers and shrink wrap which drives me nuts.

Crunchy Chicken said...

It looks like the nearest PCC to you is West Seattle, which is closer than Pike Place and will offer more than produce (think lots of bulk items, etc.)

Robj98168 said...

PCC is still a good hall. I agree TJ's drives me nuts too- 4 apples in a plastic box??? WTF!But they are getting better- potatoes, bananas apples and oranges can be bought loose. The manager says they have to sell those apples and such due to store rules- I tell those rules need to be changed!