Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weekly Challenge Update


Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Week 32
Plant Something: Some Chives, Rosemary, Basil and Oregano inside for the windowsill in kitchen; Started some radish sprouts; started some scallions bulbs
Harvest Something:Nothing
Preserve something: Cooked and froze some rice (made too much)
Store something: Nothing
Manage Reserves: Bought some seed potatoes that I stored in the garage
Cook Something New: Chicken Marsala using leftover guinea hen from last week


Chicken Marsala using left over chicken
4 cups of roasted cubed chicken
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 to 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (1/2 to 1 cup sliced)
1/2 cup Marsala wine
Preparation:Combine flour, salt, pepper, and basil; mix well. Heat oil and butter in a heavy non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour mixture. Cook chicken until lightly browned on first side (about 2 to 3 minutes). Turn chicken and add mushrooms around the chicken pieces. Cook about 2 minutes longer, until lightly browned; stir the mushrooms. Add Marsala wine to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Serve with hot cooked pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice.

*Edit- I use cooked guinea hen- I just stripped the chicken of the carcass and followed the directions, yes even dredging. Come out just fine

Prep Something: Made some “earthtainers” found a new easier way to make them- thanks to book “Fresh Food From Small Spaces" by R.J. Rupenthal that I won in Crunchy Chickens blog
Reduce Waste: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair: Reused some old flower pots to plant the chives, Rosemary, Basil and oregano in. I Took Old microwave that burned out to the appliance dump at the local garbage dump; took cardboard boxes that new microwave and range hood came in to the recycle center at the dump. Got my grandma’s old work toolboxes from my uncle- Using the roll-away as a sofa table, the small upper tool box for putting store all my scissors in, paint tubes, small tools in.
Learn a New Skill: None
Work on Community Food Security: Nope

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE:Not to good this week- Had to buy a new microwave and a hood vent fan to replace the Microwave/Hood Vent that had electrical challenges; Hate having to buy and replace appliances. I replaced it with a regular microwave and a separate hood vent. Took the old one to the appliance dump at the landfill.

Crunchy’s Freeze Yer Balls off Challenge: Going good at 55/65. I am over my cold from hell so no need to warm up the house to 70 when I am home.

Sergeant Chile’s Operation Clean Out-Put art/craft supplies in my grandma’s old work toolboxes I got from my uncle. Using the rollaway as a sofa table, the upper tool box in the spare room were I do most of my work!

Crunchy’s Food Waste Challenge: New Challenge- did pretty good- leftovers all week, the only food waste was some orange peels and banana peels in the food waste bin. Put some bread in the worm bin. Froze some rice (cooked too much) to use later in week.

No comments: