Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Day of Un-Sustainability Or Not


Every once in awhile I go off the deep end. I discovered that we now have an Ace hardware store in Burien. I love hardware stores. We have been without a local hardware for so long now! So I ambled on in. The store is very well put together. And I don't know if I would say this is un-sustainable or not. The advantages are if I need some screws or some wire nuts or any number of small hardware items, and they sell canning items! I no longer have to drive like a maniac to Lowe's or Home Depot to get this stuff! Plus it is actually within reasonable distance to the house- A quick bus trip or scooter trip or a nice walk on a nice day! And I don't think I consider Ace a Big Box retailer either- most all stores are locally owned and operated. And this store is within my "shopping" circle- My drugstore, post office, the metro transit center are all in the same vicinity!
I spent the rest of my Saturday shopping- local businesses in Olde Burien- I discovered a kitchen shop and bought a cutting board made out of the same wooden material as skateboards.
And i went into Dan the sausage man's shop and bought a snotty egg seperator, some Habanero Jelly and peach salsa. Followed all that with a nice Shrimp Poor Boy and coffee at the Tin Room made for a great afternoon!

EDIT: I FOUND OUT THE SALSA AND HABANERO JELLY IS MADE IN KENT, WA ABOUT 10 MILES AWAY- SO NOT SO UNSUSTAINABLE AFTER ALL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a day of sustainable shopping to me!! Ace Hardware stores seem to be the last holdouts of the local neighborhood hardware stores. I discovered one near our place recently, down in the Denny regrade area. I love that they seem to carry what you're looking for! And yes, almost every one I've been in has had at least some canning supplies - it's the old school way of looking at hardware stores.

Happy New Year, Rob!