Monday, November 15, 2010

Hunting the Wild Tofurkey!

For my mother- Ok, Mom. So I bought a ToFurkey. Deal with it. Get over it. I am not swearing off turkey (or chicken, duck or goose) I just thought I would try this TOFURKEY to see if I liked it.
My mom's first reaction was "you're such a bleeding heart". Which pissed me off. Since when is entertaining the idea of not killing a bird for a meal make you a "bleeding heart?" Really, mother? You are the one who raised me to eat different foods and trying other's cultures, not keeping a closed mind. Well anyway I have ranted enough about mother.
So I had this TOFURKEY to cook. It had wild rice stuffing already in it. So I Just followed the directions on the package and roasted it for an hour and a half. I have to say - the texture is meat like and very pleasing; the aroma is very good; my tofurkey roll came stuffed and with gravy- the stuffing was unbelievably tasty, the gravy, as with most "store bought gravies" was a little salty. And best of all Tofurkey passed the "sandwich-ability test" Made a great sandwich the next day! So I would definitely buy it again and I would definitely serve it to guests! And lets talk affordablilty- I bought a "6 serving" tofurkey, it comes with Stuffing and gravy for under $10 at Trader Joes- that comes to a measly $1.67 per serving!

TASTE- 8 out of 10
Texture- 8 Out of 10
"Sandwich-ability" 8 out of 10
Cost- 9 out of 10
So in short, The TOFURKEY Surpassed my expectations! A few turkeys are breathing a sigh of relief!
Whatsmore? There are tremendous recipes on the inter-webs for some amazing things to so with your Tofurkey, you can deep fry it, use the left overs in a stroganoff. Makes a Meat Free Monday so much more interesting!

3 comments:

Rebecca Jean said...

I step aside to your bravery.

We've had Tofurky brats and hot dogs before. They did not fly in this house. Even I was having trouble clearing my plate. We haven't touched the stuff since.

I'm glad to hear that perhaps it's not as bad as I remember. Really? You liked it? Honestly?

Kudos to you for Meat Free Monday. I'll stick to my veggies though.

This would be a great post to link to Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

♥ Rebecca Jean
Midnight Maniac

Robj98168 said...

Rebecca- Really I liked it. As long as one is not expecting a turkey roll I think it is an acceptable substitute.

melissa said...

I love the picture accompanying this post!