Saturday, February 7, 2009

Vegans...Turn Your eyes away!


CAUTION- CARNIVORE ATTACK AHEAD- You have been warned!
With all this talk about not eating meat being the way to go green, and slow cookers i.e. crock pots, it all fired up my carnivore instincts. So I cooked a pot roast in the slow cooker. I know, meat is the root of all evil, but I love a good pot roast. Especially one made with cola! We ate a small bit for dinner, for three people, and have plenty to take in sandwiches for work. The juice left over I will freeze and make soup later. This very well could be the most unsustainable recipe post ever!

Here is the recipe for those who care:

Coca Cola Roast

1 2 1/2 - 3 lb roast- you can go with a cheaper cut of meat like chuck roast

1 can of Cola- not diet as the sugar in the cola is part of the process that tenderizes the roast

1 can of French onion Soup (I used Campbell's)

whatever veggies you want to add


Put roast into crock pot, dump in the soup, dump in the cola add vegetables. Cook on low setting for about 6 hours.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Yummy! I'm kind of struggling with going vegetarian. I like the idea of greatly reducing my meals with meat, and having something like your roast on a Sunday night!

Chile said...

Gross.

But what I really came over here for was to tell you Operation Clean-Out is officially ending today. Nothing new to add so I'm pulling it down.

Robj98168 said...

Jenni- It was yummy! Or as Rachel Ray says Yummo! This is an easy roast to make- and very tasty


Chile-I wanted to warn you!The best part is picking the decaying cow flesh from my teeth!Hee Hee
The only substitute I can think of is maybe Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters™ Veggie Steak Strips but don't know how they will hold up in the coke/onion soup broth---
Operation Clean out cannot end now - I need to finish the garage!

Chile said...

There is no reason you can't continue your own Operation Clean-Out. Just because I ended the challenge doesn't mean I'm not still cleaning out. It just means I can't think of anything useful to post about it!