Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ditching the Disposables- The Weekly Challenge Update

Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Year two, week 20

1. Plant something: Planted the last of the Dutch Corn Salad plants I started; Planted Garlic; Planted Garlic in the community garden as well
2. Harvest something: Basil, Tomatoes, Spaghetti Squash, Pumpkins; Out of the community garden- Tomatoes, cucumber,
3. Preserve something: Pickled Hungarian wax peppers; Pureed and froze pumpkin
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something): Don’t know if it counts but I got a replacement for my beloved commuter mug through eBay. Used some old recycling bins as planters;
5. Preparation and Storage: Made a couple of planting beds for next season, converted some recycling bins into planters (when the city changed to different service the Garbage company said to keep your old bins, for free! Never had a use for them until I started thinking about it. Found some old Milk Crates to use to store crap; Figured out a plan to make a green house using the Canopy frame I have with no top, will make it moveable
6. Build Community Food Systems: Took this weeks donation of food from the community garden to the food bank- Tomatoes, cucumbers
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new)-Ate pickled cherry tomatoes and onions, Pickled Hungarian Wax Peppers; Started eating the food in the freezer- ate Game hens and corn (from last year)

Melinda’s Growing Challenge: Am planing on building a greenhouse using a canopy frame I happen to have; saved the seeds from pumpkins, spaghetti squash


Meat Free Mondays: I had a “Morning Glory” Muffin- (Raisin, Mango and Carrot) and coffee from Burien Press, lunch- had TVP “chicken”, beets; lunch at work - A flatbread pesto and tomato Pizza; Dinner pickled onions, pickled tomatoes and an omelet.




Ditch The Disposables- Yes Ms. Amy, or rather Crunchy Domestic Goddess to you and me is starting this one up again, For the love of me I don’t remember what I ditched last year; But Oh well this year I am going to concentrate on Plastic Cutlery and Drop the tissues for Hankies- I mayhave done one or both last year but need to try harder if I did as I am getting sloppy about both!

No comments: