Friday, September 25, 2009

One of my Favorite things- "Cheap Like Me" Oatmeal


Do you read the "Cheap Like me" Blog? If so you know she has a lot of great things for the more frugally minded (cheapskates). A lot of things she writes about are great. But one of the best things I have found on that blog is her version of an Instant Oatmeal recipe. Cheaper than store bought instant Oatmeal, It taste just as good, and is just as easy to make. I keep mine in a container used for little Beef sticks (don't look at me like that- I won it in a raffle- and they were tasty). I wondered how I was going to recycle that jar! Around my house, my favorite breakfast is known as "Cheap Like Me Oatmeal. I eat it almost everyday! Anyway here is the recipe

"Cheap Like Me" Instant Oatmeal
6 cups rolled oats, divided use
1/2-1 cup light brown sugar (or to taste)
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
Generous pinch table salt
1 cup powdered milk (optional)
Process 2 cups oats to a powder, then set aside in a bowl large enough to hold all 6 cups. Combine 4 cups of oats with remaining ingredients except powdered milk and process in two batches with two or three 1-second pulses, just so oats are slightly broken. Add to bowl with powdered oats. Add powdered milk. Stir or shake it up.
(Rob's Note; I don't add the powdered milk to the recipe: I use real milk when it is made- just a personal preference)
To serve, place about 1/2 to 1 cup of oatmeal in a bowl and stir in enough boiling water to get the consistency you desire (it may need a minute to thicken). Add any fruit, nuts, maple syrup or other flavorings you want.

2 comments:

The Cheap Vegetable Gardener said...

Just made some, though only had 3 cups of raw oats but I was able to figure out the math. :)

See I am not just cheap with my vegetables.

Cheap Like Me said...

I live in infamy! :) I am honored -- glad you like it. I like it because my kid can make it herself! The microwave is too high for her to reach (above the stove), but she can reach the electric kettle.