Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MY new Favorite thing


My new favorite thing is 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars! I recently purchased a whole dozen of them. I pack my lunch using them and they are perfect for taking a 1/2 pints worth of cooked veggies or fruit or berries in or today I took a baked potato to work and used them to pack the butter. And I store my homemade peanut butter in them. Now if only the Ball/Kerr folks would make a sandwiched size jar. These jars are great- under $9 for a dozen- Cheaper than Glad or Ziplock brand plastic food savers or anything by Rubbermaid, Microwavable too! They also come in other sizes- Jelly jars (12oz, 8oz and 4 oz) are great for putting some milk or other beverage in, and quart and pint jars for larger amounts-for leftovers and such. And of course there is nothing wrong with reusing jars to pack food in! I love my jars! I often wash old food jars when I run a load in the dishwasher- first soak the label and peel it off and just wash. Then reuse the jar!

4 comments:

Chile said...

Hm, sounds like a good option for my sweetie's lunches. I also reuse old food jars.

When I'm canning and plan to share with someone else, I'll often use old food jars. They can be cleaned and sterilized, and often the lids will ping when they are processed. I know this isn't safe for storing on the shelf, however, and always tell them to keep it in the refrigerator and use soon. It keeps me from losing the good canning jars, though. Even though they are under ten bucks for a dozen, if you use a lot, it adds up fast. Heck, I used a dozen pint jars yesterday and today, and will be filling half a dozen half-pints tomorrow.

Crunchy Chicken said...

I love the plastic lids you can buy for them. I really don't like screwing around with the metal lids (ha!). I end up using them for all sorts of storage as well.

Bellinanina said...

Rob, where do you purchase the jars? I'm in Seattle. I have a very hard time finding the 1/2 pint size jars.
Thanks!

Robj98168 said...

I get them at fred meyer in burien, but have seen them at safeway, albertsons, Mclendon's ardware and Ace Hardware