Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What to do with sprouts


I had to come up with a recipe for sprouts, before they went bad and Crunchy gives me a demerit in the Food Waste Reduction Challenge- (I don't mind the demerits so much but I think the whips are totally unnecessary) And it had to be something to take to work in my tiffin. So here is what I went with: loving slaw made out of cabbage or broccoli, I thought mung bean sprout slaw. I simply mixed up my favorite slaw dressing (which I also use on potato salad) and Voila! A crunchy, crispy, tasty slaw made with fresh grown bean Sprouts!


MUNG BEAN SPROUT SLAW
About 1 cups worth of mung bean sprouts
A handful of radish sprouts
A handful of alfalfa sprouts
Your favorite slaw dressing
Toss all together in a bowl- chill and serve!

ROB'S FAVORITE SLAW DRESSING:
¼ cup of mayo (I suppose you could sub a vegan mayo)
1 tablespoon of plain mustard
1-2 tablespoons of vinegar
Agave nectar or honey to taste

Mix dressing ingredients really well. Pour into cabbage, shredded broccoli or on bean sprouts, and then toss. Let sit for a few hours. Also works well as a potato salad dressing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have to deal with a metric ass load of sprouts at times. This is a great recipe. Thanks for the ideas!