Sunday, May 17, 2009

We can has tomatoes?- The Weekly Challenge Update

Some of the heirloom varieties I bought at
a charity tomato plant sale last week
in a self watering container
Window box romas and tumblers (from seed)

Sharon's Independence Days Challenge-- Year two, week 3

1. Plant something: Nasturtiums; Kohlrabi, Basil seeds, Brussel sprout plants, pineapple sage plant; onion sets ( I know they should be planted already- but onions later is better than no onions!- I got them on a discount)Tomatoes
2. Harvest something: Swiss Chard, parsley, basil, radish thinnings;
3. Preserve something: dehydrated swiss chard; parsley. Froze some basil cubes. Froze Chard stems
4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce or compost something): Repaired my steamer basket (was missing a leg) went hardware store and purchased a stainless steel nut and bolt and voila- fixed!
5. Preparation and Storage: Made some liquid laundry soap from soap nuts and stored in a glass fruit juice jar; made some trellises out of some decorative fencing
6. Build Community Food Systems: I did it! Offered up space for two 4 x 4 garden beds on Urban Gardenshare;
7. Eat the Food: Steamed Chard stems; ate some dehydrated chard,


Melinda’s Growing Challenge: Nasturtiums; Kohlrabi, Basil seeds, Brussel sprout plants, pineapple sage plant; onion sets ( I know they should be planted already- but onions later is better than no onions!- I got them on a discount)Tomatoes

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: Did pretty good this week all things considering… I did purchase a digital video camera that I have been waiting along time for= price was right with coupon, Other than that no new purchases- wait- I did buy romeo a 20’ tie down leash so he could go with me to work on weekends and not have to sit in a hot car.
Coming Next Week:
Fake Plastic Fish's Plastic Gauntlet Challenge- I will be assuming the identity of one Ms. Fish- won't her husband be surprised!

2 comments:

DP Nguyen said...

I totally failed at your weekly challenge. I haven't planted anything new, but on the happy side, I am building new boxes, so I am going to eventually plant something new! :-)

Robj98168 said...

DP It is not my challenge it is Sharon's Challenge her website is Casusubon's Book And she is a nice lady. There is no pass or fail... as with most challenges it is a self taught lesson maker.