Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mexi Pizzas and Me- Weekly Challenge Update

This week I got into more meatless meals- And an old favorate- Mexi Pizza's - they are a form of Tostado- very simple to make- Some refried Beans, a layer of Cheese, topped with salsa on a fried tortilla! On Thursday I made them with a layer of the "meat" left over from the Sloppy Jose's (Morningstar Farms "Crumbles" TVP was the meat!)


Sharon's Independence Days Challenge-
Plant Something: Planted shallots, got tomato plants started as well as my pumpkins and summer squash
Harvest Something: Some sprout mixture
Preserve something: Nothing of note
Store something: Some brown rice in a big bag that was on sale into mason jars and vacuumed packed
Manage Reserves: Drew up some ideas on making the laundry/pantry more efficient- better outlay
Cook Something New: Just the Sloppy Jose’s- never made them with TVP before; experimented with making “Mexican Pizza”, a type of tostado; never made meatless before now
Prep Something: Finishing up on the potato condo- ran out of screws and staples on Sunday evening all the stores are closed; making up some SWP’s (Self watering Planters);
Reduce Waste: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair: made another bird bath from lamp parts I had on hand as a gift; No gift wrapping in three gifts I gave this week; used some old lumber in making my potato planter;
Learn a New Skill: Studying up on bending rebar, got instruction on making a bender, figured out how to make a rebar bender- need to get parts and make it
Work on Community Food Security: Went to a sustainable Burien meeting, one of the local churches would like to donate some it's land for P-Patches, Great possibility- very exciting

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: Did not buy anything this week except for some neoprene rubber washers for bird bath I made for my cousin; Just groceries and a big bag of Brown Rice that was on sale

Crunchy’s Freeze Yer Balls off Challenge: Balls still frozen- doesn’t know it a'int supposed to snow Thermostats still set to 55 when gone or sleeping 65 when home (It is snowing while I am typing this- trace amount but still

2 comments:

Connie said...

Hey, I love the toilet tube planters. I picked up some roma seeds and starter soil. I've got last year's plastic thingy's saved but when I run out we'd better be saving toilet tubes.

Connie said...

Hey, I love the toilet tube planters. I picked up some roma seeds and starter soil. I've got last year's plastic thingy's saved but when I run out we'd better be saving toilet tubes.