Sunday, March 29, 2009

I wanna go back to my little grass shack....Weekly Challenge update

Well not much got down around Casa De Los Pink flamingos this week- I did start a new project- I had an old canopy (an "e-z up) whose top has seen better days - it was torn- so I did what any good re-user would do and made a new one from reed fencing. I am gonna put this where you see the bikes in front of the rain barrel. I was pricing gazebos and pergolas- $500 to $1500! And you know I am really cheap!
So I got my creative freak on and made this "roof" for my old canopy frame. Cost was about $50 for the reed fencing and $2 for the tie-wraps to attach it.

Sharon's Independence Days Challenge-
Plant Something: Nothing really- restarted some new sprouts
Harvest Something: some pea sprouts
Preserve something: nope
Store something: Bought some Morningstar products on sale, and Safeway had a sale- buy $25 in frozen food get a coupon for $10 of shopping, put all in the freezer
Manage Reserves: Made a new raised bed for garden.
Cook Something New: still into the sorbet thing – made some blueberry (so far it is my favorite) Made some roast chicken thighs topped with Rotola cheese ( mozzarella and persciutto ham rolled up and sliced- very good
Prep Something: Nope
Reduce Waste: Saved the canopy frame and top from going in to the waste stream (see above), Will use the old canopy for gardening and covering my load in the pickup.
Learn a New Skill:
Work on Community Food Security: Made a donation to the food bank, bought some Via coffee (from Starbucks) for troops over seas;

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: Bought some reed fencing for canopy project; and some tie wraps at dollar store; got two free tickets to Regal cinemas, used those to see "I Love You Man"

Melinda’s Growing Challenge- Nothing to report (tomato starts are still not dead!)

Crunchy’s Freeze Yer Balls off Challenge: Last week of this challenge- I cannot remember a winter with low temps this late into the season (It’s spring, dammit!) But have toughed it out all winter with exception for when I hold the mother of all colds. My power bills reflect the lower thermostats.

No comments: