Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sprouting - gardening inside

Delicous radish sprouts

Since my new founded interest in sprouting, I would dearly love to try one of those fancy sprouting systems sold online, But instead I madesome new sprouting jars. The easy answer is to use a meshy fabric like cheesecloth or some nylons and wrap around the top like in the second video. But, being a guy, I don't have nylons lying around and not about to go out and buy some Big Mama nylons. These are easy to make- don't buy sprouting jars or lids. Here is how I make mine. Take an ordinary mason jar. You need to buy some type or mesh or netting to use in place of the cap. I use plastic canvass, which is available at JoAnn's and I would imagine Michael's has them as well. Take a mason jar and put it on the plastic canvass lid side down-
Take a mason jar and put it on the plastic canvass lid side down- and a sharpie to mark the circle.
Then simply cut the circle out of the canvass. Now place it ontop of the mason jar and screw on the lid. There you have a sprouting jar in whatever size you need! For instructions on using your sprouting jar, go to sproutpeople or sprouting.com or best yet the cityfarmer.org.
Roger and Anna are a tad bit irritating but give good info:



Good info one making sprouting jars using cheescloth or nylons:

4 comments:

Robj98168 said...

JAM- That is a great re-use of left over material! A+ on your ingenuity!

Anonymous said...

I do this as an activity for a youth gardening program in my city. The kids love it and their parents are thrilled to have their "sprouts" try a new veggie.

My favorite sprouts are peas. I fill a large container with soil and plant pea seeds (edible not flowering!)thickly. Once the seedling are about 4 or 5 inches tall simply clip them off leaving a few lower leaves. They'll regrow a few times. You can eat them raw in a salad or add them to stir fry. Yummy!

diana

Robj98168 said...

ool diana I am gonna have to try those pea things!

Melinda said...

Great instructions, Rob! We have one of those plastic sprouters that works really well ... cough... when we use it!! Should do it more often - thanks for the reminder.