Monday, February 23, 2009

Lentil Burgers, Spaghetti and envelopes: The Weekly Challenge Update


Sharon's Independence Days Challenge- Week 35
Plant Something:Just some Salad Mixture Sprouts
Harvest Something: Salad Mixture sprouts, Lentil Bean Sprouts, mung bean sprouts
Preserve something: Cooked a large amount of rice and froze the leftovers for Topaz, Martin’s chocolate lab who is having some food issues (it’s hell being an old dog)
Store something:Nothing, except froze the rice
Manage Reserves: Bought some fence boards to Italicrepair the fence
Cook Something New: Spaghetti with Guiltless Meat Sauce; Red-Icculus’ Vegetarian Lentil Burgers
Prep Something: Made some more sprouting jars- this time out of mayonnaise jars and just drilled holes in the lids for air.
Reduce Waste: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair: Did very well on Ms. Chicken’s Food waste Challenge this week (see below); I learned how to make envelopes out of catalogs! Put some crap from cleaning out the garden boxes in the composter along with the last of my mom’s garden stuff. Kept a mayonnaise jar out of the recycling by re-using it as a sprouting jar
Learn a New Skill: I learned how to make envelopes out of catalogs!
Work on Community Food Security: Put up a giveaway this week for the “wonders of Sprouting booklet I got with my sprout order from Canada.

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: There was very little sustainable buying this week. I went to the NW Flower and Garden show, and attack of the vendors. I just bought a junk art sign that says welcome (couldn’t find one that said GO AWAY!), some seed ballz, lunch at Tully’s, and saw many projects for the house and garden. I also bought some fence boards to repair the wooden part of the fence. But that is repair so I don’t know if that counts or not

Crunchy’s Freeze Yer Balls off Challenge: Still at 55/65. Still freezing my avocados off.

Crunchy’s Food Waste Challenge:
This was a really good week- no food waste at all. Yay me! The only problem I have is my mom- she has decided to send all her leftovers to work with me. Not so easy not to have food waste with extra bowls of spaghetti to eat as well. But I ain’t complaining. Chile was a big help by mentioning that I could grind down those unpopped kernels of popcorn and use them in corn bread!
Sunday- No food waste
Monday- No food waste
Tuesday- No food waste
Wednesday- No food waste- took some leftover spaghetti and garlic bread for lunch at work
Thursday- No food waste- took leftover Lentil Burgers for lunch at work
Friday- No food Waste
Saturday- No food waste

No comments: