Friday, February 20, 2009

Hookey day at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show

Who wouldn't love a fiddle playing frog? I would!
I took the day off to go to the Northwest Flower and Garden Show, like I do almost every year. I drove to my mom's to park the truck and took the bus (well two busses actually) to the Convention Center. As usual, when I got there it was like spring had sprung!
This year was bittersweet as the promoters have announced this is the last year for the show, the 2nd largest indoor Flower and garden show in the country. It always helps to jump start spring for me. Anyway I had a good time perusing the display gardens. I always like the "Funky Junk" display, a display were local teens make some unique "junk art" out of found and discarded items like an old janitor sink as a pond- Unfortunately my pics of the funky junk were a tad, well, funky and didn't turn out well for posting..
Speaking of Junk art, I got to meet and listen to Beth Evans-Ramos, a local blogger and co-owner of The Salvage Studio, give a talk on her junking career, what gives her inspiration and a slide show on many of the things she has created (Beth inspired me to make my birdbath) lots of inspiration that I am afraid y'all gonna be reading about. I also met her co-hort and partner in the studio, Lisa, who makes the greatest clocks out of dominoes and silver trays, and also makes cool things out of old forks. I am gonna have to get their book, "The Salvage Studio: Sustainable Home Comforts to Organize, Entertain, and Inspire " Lots of good stuff.
This years show, more so than other years, really seemed to emphasize greener living. I saw lots of folks with totes, re-usable water bottles, looking into more sustainable gardening practices. That is really cool. And of course I bought more Seed Ballz, so maybe a giveaway in the near future. Actually I will maybe have a giveaway tomorrow, but not Seed Ballz so stay tuned!

A new choice for lawns? This actually would be cool- drought tolerant, nice to look at, you only mow it once per season!

As usual, I find building inspiration- Like this Pergola. This show makes my life so difficult!


Somehow I always seem to find Classic Cars- this 60's era Mustang was featuring the Shed, and the pavers. It made a nice statement.



Speaking of classics that catch my eye- The Turf Bug would be so cool to drive around in- this display was by Dream Turf- the VW- a 1974 Super Beetle covered with dream turf- A neat new "astro turf" that even Ed Begley Jr let Rachelle put in his yard (first place I ever saw it on their TV show "Living with Ed") The Turf is really cool and while putting plastic Turf may not initially seem to be a Green option- No mowing, no watering and no fertilizing certainly makes it so!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Alessandra

http://www.craigslistpostingonline.info
s

Anonymous said...

I skipped work and took my daughter the same day. If I would have known would have met you for lunch or something. If you are interested here is my guest post on Flora's blog. We bussed in as well, which was good so we couldn't buy too much but I guess also a negative.

Anonymous said...

It's not that I hate hippies, but there's something about that VW that makes me want to strap on my cleats and tackle that car.