Friday, February 20, 2009

Red-Icculus’s Vegetarian Lentil Burgers


No peoples- I haven’t gone vegetarian on you- I just believe that we should be kinder to earth and not eat so much red meat. Guess it is kinder to the cows, too.
I saw this post on Red-Icculus’s blog, and I knew I had to try them. I was going to boil the lentils in Beef stock, but thought that would be cheating now. So I bought Vegetable stock- so I thought. Turns out I bought Chicken stock. I said “Aw the hell with it” and used water. Good old H20. Out of the tap. (Who the hell is so scattered brain the mistake the word “Vegetable” with the word “Chicken”?) Anyway, unusually for me, I followed Red’s recipe to the letter- except I used green pepper instead of red – I had green pepper in the freezer, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper flakes in the beans. I topped mine with homemade catsup and some hot sauce.
I am giving them one enthusiastic thumb’s up, A tad bit starchy, but otherwise delicious! Now I know what to serve Ed Begley, Jr, when he comes over for a Barbeque!
Red-Icculus' Lentil Burgers
Lentils
Red Pepper
Onion, About half
Red pepper, Chopped about half a pepper
garlic, to taste
black pepper, to taste
salt, just a bit
an egg or Bob's Red Mill egg substitute
Oilve Oil
Boil a cup of lentils until all of the moisture is cooked off ( I used about 2 cups of water)Then add red pepper, onion, garlic, black pepper, a bit of salt, and an egg. Bob’s Red Mill egg substitute can be used for vegans. The mixture is formed into patties and placed on medium-low heat with a little olive oil in the pan. They are flipped GENTLY after about 5 minutes. Cook for an additional 5 minutes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out! It's a delicious recipe.