Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rave: Breaking the bottled water habit!

Break the Bottled Water Habit


It's a good thing I read other blogs when they make comments on mine. Other wise I would never find neat campaigns like this Breaking the Bottled water habit. I know you have heard other websites lament about plastic usage and why it is bad. But I am thinking of it as Patriotic to use your own re-usable water bottle. Helps to get us of Foreign oil dependency. I found this through the Four Bushel Farm blog. I think it is important. Did you know that every plastic water bottle uses 1/4 cup of oil in it's production? Or that Tap water is safer than it's bottled counterpart? And if you filter the tap water is the same as the bottled counterpart? So sign up and get out your reusable water bottle and start saving big bucks. (If you drink one bottle of water a day that's over $365 per year!) It is the patriotic thing to do! Here are the info from the New American dream website:

Everything we consume has a climate impact, but manufacturing and trucking water
bottles to homes with clean tap water seems particularly wasteful. The Beverage
Marketing Corporation reports that Americans consumed 31.2 billion liters of
water in 2006 – nearly 9 liters per month for every man, woman, and child.

Manufacturing all those bottles requires 900,000 tons of plastic, the
equivalent of more than 17 million barrels of oil, and emit more than 2.5
million tons of carbon dioxide. Trucking around all those heavy bottles emits
even more greenhouse gases. Beyond the climate impact there’s the massive waste
– 86% of water bottles aren't recycled -- and water bottling is also,
ironically, a very water-intensive endeavor. The Pacific Institute tells us that
it takes three liters of water to produce one liter of bottled water!

1 comment:

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Hi Rob,
I'm glad you clicked on the bottled water link - the information they have is eye-opening! Thanks to what I've learned from fellow bloggers, I tote my tap water in a Kleen Kanteen, and my coffee in a reused glass canning jar. (But I admire your Mugsley!)
Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving!