Friday, January 29, 2010

Empty bowls Filled, then empty again...Delicious!

The lunch bowl- great size for oatmeal in the morning

Well I took Mom up to the Empty Bowls event. I got a nice handmade bowl filled with Tortilla Soup. The soup was donated by local restaurants (mine came from the Mark restaurant) and cafeterias and all looked and smelled good. Mom had a Squash soup (came from the 909).Would have been perfection, and the event certainly was. And many were impressed with the real spoons (no plastic) and everything disposable was compostable. Paper napkins, paper coffee cups (yes I took muggsly but it seemed wrong to fill up my gargantuan mug. Anyway would have been totally perfect- But I wanted to walk from Mom's to the event- (It is simply across the field in the park next to Mom's building- but Mom wanted to drive as she wasn't all about walking an "uneven field" with her knee. "Uneven?" I said "That is an athletic field, trust me it's one of the most even surfaces in town.
Well I lost that argument. So we drove 4 blocks to the Community Art center. You pick your battles. Anyway I got a nice bowl. They even washed it after. But later in the day I got hungry- I was finally putting in the new light fixtures in the garage, and had on my Carhartt work coat. So i went in and cleaned up, put my work coat back on and went for the supper sitting and met up with some friends.
The Supper bowl- Hmmmm... Ice cream???


I got another great bowl, this time I chose Chicken Noodle Soup (from Kennedy High School). A tad salty for my taste- but then Chicken Noodle usually is. But very good. Good thing I wore my working coat- one of the gals working the event passing out the bread and cookies said You look like you are a working man and found me a good sized roll to eat with my soup! It pays to advertise! Anyway- Good day- I got light in my garage, filled up on soup, and was able to support the Highline area food bank and the local art community. Guess that's more than a two-fer. Sounds like a three-fer to me. I even got some work done on a couple of items that will appear on my etsy shop! Any way, it looked like they were on their way to a sell out. The local potters donated 1006 bowls. That should come out to $10,060 raised! 90% will go to the food bank and 10% goes to fund children's programs at the art center!

Whenever I attend an event like this, I am always reminded of one of my favorite T- Shirts- "It will be a great day when the schools and libraries have all the money they need and the air force has to hold a bake sale to build a bomber!" I love productive days!

No comments: