Friday, December 12, 2008

KrumKake and Potato Sausage


Abbie, The Farmers Daughter is doing a Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap, so I suppose I must waddle my fat butt into the fray.

Well tomorrow I will be making stacks of KrumKake- a norwegian cookie that heathens (non-norwegians) like to fill with whipped cream and whipped chocolate- thease are not Canolli's people. They are little cones of blood sweat and tears (well 3rd degree burns actually). My grandma "taught" me how to make krumkake- I use the word taught with qoutations because grandma would sit there and watch me make the krumkake, tell me I have to much batter on the iron and scream when rolling the krum kake into the cone- it is hot grease folks! Anyway, my mom, does the same thing- sits down and watches tv while I do the work. It is ok, I don't mind. I have learned that cotton glove liners do wonder protecting your hands from the molten krumkake when rolling. I will probably make 4 batches of delicous krumkake tomorrow. Here is a recipe pretty close to my own.

1 stick butter (1/2 cup or 8 tbsp.)
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs1 cup general purpose flour2 tbsp.
whipping cream1/2 vanilla extract
Makes about 25 krumkaker
1. Melt the butter carefully in a microwave oven or double boiler. Do not overheat.
2. Thoroughly mix the sugar into the butter, stirring well.
3. Using a power hand mixer, blend the eggs into the mixture.
4. Then add the flour slowly while blending to a smooth, consistent batter.
5. In a small bowl, whip the cream fully. Then add the whipped cream to the batter and blend completely.
6. Add vanilla extract to suit your taste. If needed, add a small amount of milk while blending until the consistency is just spoonable but not quite pourable. The mixture should drop off a measuring spoon but not pour off. This consistency will ensure a lacy textured krumkake, but you will find the baked krumkake slightly more difficult to handle without tearing while rolling onto a cone. But it's worth the effort!
7. Using the KrumKake Express™, start with the Color Control Dial at 2-1/2. One heaping tablespoon of batter will make a 5-6" krumkake. Lock the lid latch for a thinner and crispier krumkake. For a thicker krumkake do not close the latch while baking.
8. Add batter to the plate only when the green "Ready" light is ON. In about 30 seconds, the red "Baking" light will turn ON.
9. When the green light comes ON again, open the lid of the KrumKake Express™ and inspect the krumkake for color. Adjust the Color Control Dial as necessary to obtain a total bake cycle of 70-80 seconds for a golden brown krumkake.
10. Cook until golden brown and remove promptly.
11. Roll onto the Cone Form quickly while the krumkake is still hot

How to roll A krumkake into a cone

Note- if you do not or cannot find a krumkake iron, you can use a pizzelle iron as well. I have a double electric krumkake iron,

The other thing I love about the holidays is Potato Sausage. It has been years since my dad and I actually made delicous potato sausage. When he was a kid his mom and stepdad would invite lots of folks over for Potato Sausage stuffing parties in their basement. You need to find casings (ask at your butcher market. Pig Casing works best, per my dad). Then you need a grinder with a sausage stuffing attachment. They would make hundreds of pounds of sausage and probably drink gallons of booze. Lots of work and folks wonder why I buy mine. I bought 6 packages, and promptly froze them. That's a lot of sausage. Here is pretty the same recipe I use, but I don't know about the part that says about rolling them into balls- we never did that. Just remember to boil them for about 20 minutes.
Maybe tomorrow I will write about the wonders of Potato Klub! One dish that requires no special irons or sausage making equptment!

5 comments:

Farmer's Daughter said...

Thanks for the recipe!!!

ib mommy said...

I'll send you some of mine if you send me some of yours!

TDP said...

Do you have a recipe for lefse? I love lefse!

KrumKake is yummy too! Looks good!

Robj98168 said...

Snowbird- I dont have a recipe for lefes, but then I don't yet have a lefse iron- even though I could use my griddle for one. here are some good recipes for lefse

Easy Lefse recipe My aunt made a version simular to this one
I would post grnadma's recipe but it is hard to understand (grandma never could write drown a recipe- she alwyas thought a person should know what temperature things where cooked at and how much a scant was, a pinch was etc etc

TDP said...

Oooh, Great! Thanks Rob! I've got lots of instant potato flakes around the house. I'll have to do up this recipe soon. : )