Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hamburger Gravy!


When I was a kid, this was one of my favorite things. Well the other day I happened to look in the freezer and had a pound of local raised grass fed hamburger I had bought at the farmers market this summer- so I made one of my favorite comfort foods- Hamburger Gravy
HAMBURGER GRAVY

2 pounds lean ground beef
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion, chopped

Directions
Place hamburger in a large, deep skillet. Cook onions in a drop of oil just until translucent. Crumble hamburger and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove from heat and sprinkle flour over cooked hamburger. Stir until evenly coated and all fat is absorbed.
Place skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 of milk and stir until gravy begins to thicken. Add remaining milk until desired consistency has been reached and gravy comes to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve over mashed or boiled potatoes, white rice, bread or toast or biscuits. Add fresh chopped onion if desired.

No comments: