I am very excited about National Kitchen Garden Day! I have talked to the rest of the Community Garden Board and the consensus is we could have a Potluck on August 15th! I may even overcome my natural shyness and demonstrate how I make SIPs (Self Irrigating Planters) or SWP's (Self Watering Planters). Anyway hope it turns out good! Now on to the challenges:
Sharon's Independence Days Challenge Year 3, weeks 25 and 26
1. Plant something: Nope
2. Harvest something: Golden plums, Tomatoes, Chard, Lettuce, peas, Logan berries
3. Preserve something: Made 5 - ½ pint jars of Apricot Salsa and froze 4 of them for later. Dehydrated 4 pounds of Apricots.
4. Waste Not: Got a Rubber Maid container full of towels from mom that were destined for Goodwill- will use for rags etc; Making a new worm bin out of the Rubber Maid Container.
5: Want not: Bought 6 pounds of Apricots at the farmers’ market for .99 a pound!
6. Preparation and Storage:
7. Build Community Food Systems: Am making plans with the community garden board for a fest celebrating National Kitchen Garden Day on August 15
8. Eat the food (cook something new): Made apricot salsa; loganberry smoothie; steamed chard with pancetta, lettuce and peas and a few Logan berries in a salad
Garden Challenge: Extreme Evangelist Edition- Harvested Golden Plums, Chard, Lettuce, peas and Logan berries. Am making plans with the community garden board for a fest celebrating National Kitchen Garden Day on August 15 (normally held on August 22nd but we are celebrating a week early as a bunch of the gardeners are taking a “perma culture course“)
Deep Fried Spaghetti
1 week ago