Friday, July 23, 2010

Apricot Salsa


I went to the Farmers' Market today. I didn't buy any farmers, how ever I bought 6 pounds of apricots that were very ripe, the farmer was selling them at a discount (.99 a pound!). Now what do you do with 6 pounds of Apricots that are that ripe? My friend, Frustrated Farmer Rick, of Caerwyn Farm and Spirits fame, has this recipe for Apricot Chutney on his blog that looks very good. But I like this Fresh Apricot Salsa.

FRESH APRICOT SALSA
1 pound firm-ripe apricots, pitted and chopped
1 red bell pepper (about 7 oz.), stemmed, seeded, and chopped
2 fresh jalapeno chilies, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt

Mix apricots with bell pepper, jalapenos, cilantro, and lime juice (I like to put everything in the Cuisinart and let it do the work. Season to taste with salt.

If making ahead, cover and chill up to 4 hours. Serve salsa cold, or heat in the microwave oven until steaming. It goes well with meat and poultry. I like to eat it with Ritz crackers. It's also good with tortilla chips

I make this and put it into jars. And I freeze a good portion of it.

Now that it's made I will probably put the rest of the apricots on the dehydrator.

1 comment:

Chile said...

I should probably add apricot to the list of trees I want to plant this fall. I can't stand eating them fresh (although hubby likes 'em) but I do enjoy them in recipes. Your salsa sounds good, but do dry some to make apricot bread mid-winter!