Monday, July 12, 2010

SUN TEA RECIPE FOR SWEET TEA

Some "sun Tea made in my frigidaire


SUN TEA RECIPE FOR SWEET TEA
I found this sun tea recipe on Instructables.com . A few things to add: you don't need sun to make sun tea- you can just put it in the frigidaire or just leave on the counter- the methods are the same, and when you user a large pickle jar or something simular, try saving the lid as you can use that rather than use a zip lock bag or plastic wrap to cover the top. I like that he mixes two teas- red rose which is a black pekoe tea, and constant comment a rather spicy sweeter tea.
* Sun
* 4 Red Rose tea bags or "black" tea
* 2 Constant Comment tea bags
* Ziploc bag or plastic wrap, big enough to cover opening
* Rubber band
* Something to stir the tea
* Approx. 3L pitcher
* Glass jug, (mine is an old olive jar)
* Approx. 10 tbsp of sugar or equivalent sweetner (I sweeten mine with about 10 tbsp. of agave nectar)


First, get 4 tea bags of Red Rose, and 2 of Constant Comment, and cut the strings off. Second, fill up the jar/jug with water and put the tea bags in, . Put a lid on the jar/jug and put it outside in sun. Or just stick it in your fridge or counter. When done take the tea bags out and add the sweetner and stir well. Serve with glasses filled with Ice.

4 comments:

Jen Archer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Cheap Vegetable Gardener said...

With our constant change in temerature good to know there is a sun-free option :)

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I usually make my sun tea on the countertop out of the sun. When I remember to put my pitcher in the sun, it "brews" more quickly.

I usually leave the sweetener out but that's just me.

Wendy said...

Ah! Being a southern girl, I LOVE tea, especially iced sweet tea. It's a very nice tonic on a toasty day (of which there are simply too few up where I live :).

For my sweet tea, I use a combination of black tea and green tea (two bags each), and then, I like to pick some fresh mint leaves from the garden to give it a nice "cool" taste. I prefer sugar for a sweetner (raw, cane sugar), but honey is good, too ;).

Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it with the herbal tea in your recipe ;).