Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dodging Mammoth Raindrops- The Weekly Challenge Update




Very Busy. I am getting to like the greenhouse very much, It rains, you stay dry! And might be planing on building a more permanent one in the near future. Of course, I will free cycle the plastic behemoth if I decide on building one



1.Plant something: Started some gourds, Mortgage lifter tomatoes, some ground cherries; Obtained some brandywine, Oregon spring, Striped German, Black Russian and Cherokee Purple tomato starts, obtained a flat of strawberry plants; planted radishes, peas and beans
2. Harvest something: Foraged some Dandelion greens and flowers.


3. Preserve something: Nada


4. Reduce Waste (recycle, reuse, reduce, repair or compost something): Made a bench from a skateboard deck, the usual recycling, composting crap that I do always
5. Preparation and Storage: Separated some onion bulbs that I discovered wintered over and replanted them, Bought some Red Clover tips, lemon grass and Dried nettles for making tea until I see these things growing here.
6. Build Community Food Systems: No contact made with New Futures about taking the seeds I had for them (not for lack of trying)… Maybe a giveaway in the near future- but first I am going to call the food bank on Monday and see if they want them for their little garden at the food bank. As Gawd is my witness I shall give the seeds away!
7. Eat the Food (cook or eat something new): Strawberry Ice cream made from strawberries in the freezer; salad with dandelion greens
 
 
Freeze Your Buns off challenge- My little thermometer man has been keeping his clothes on. Typical Seattle Spring. I think I need to build an Arc

One Small Change- Decide and started the last leg of this challenge. TAKE OUT: No non-compostable containers, plus no non compostable or compostable utensils (As I have decided they wont compost, at least not in a home composter). Got a great start this month as Martin brought home some Mexican from someplace in downtown/SODO area of Seattle. Came on a paper plate with foil as the top. And of course we ate pizza, which I reuse the pizza boxes for weed block.

Garden Challenge "Extreme Evangelist Edition"- Started some gourds, Mortgage lifter tomatoes, some ground cherries and Obtained some brandywine, Oregon spring, Striped German, Black Russian and Cherokee Purple tomato starts, obtained a flat of strawberry plants, Separated some onion bulbs that I discovered wintered over and replanted them; No contact made with New Futures about taking the seeds I had for them so… Maybe a giveaway- but first I am going to call the food bank on Monday and see if they want them for their little garden at the food bank. As Gawd is my witness I shall give the seeds away!

No comments: